About the Team
As DoorDash is venturing into new verticals such as Convenience, grocery, alcohol, pet food etc, the biggest problem we need to solve is how do I run a store?. One of the challenges we face running a store is: how do I make Picking efficient and fun for our dashers while they are searching for items in stores as big as several thousands of square feet. The In-Store Picking team is responsible for anything and everything related to the picking process in the store. This is a 0->1 team trying to figure out how map a store based on various input data available to us, determining pick path optimizations, and eventually introduce gamification to make picking fun.
About the Role
As an engineering manager in this role, you will have the opportunity to own a large portion of our last mile logistics cost structure and will directly contribute to the success of our convenience and grocery business. You will have an opportunity to work closely with senior leadership across engineering, product, operations, and data science to build features that will improve our picking efficiency. You will have an opportunity to build things that will be foundational to in-store navigation, gamification as well to make the picking process fun.
Youre excited about this opportunity because you will
- Build a 0 to 1 team and build 0 to 1 solutions to a difficult and unsolved problem across the local shopping spectrum.
- You will help tackle our most important lever for profitability: dasher costs. Increasing the efficiency in the system will decrease the overall pick time which translates into faster and affordable orders. One dollar saved is one dollar passed back to the customer.
- You will own Pick Time per item while continuously adding new features to the picking process.
- Solve complex optimization and navigation problems that will help millions if not billions of customers out there.
Were excited about you because
- You have more than 4 years of proven track record of managing and building up engineering teams - both in a scalable and responsible manner
- You have solved ambiguous problems working with a large range of cross functional partners
- You have built solutions at scale that effectively leverage distributed systems and machine learning models to solve problems
- You have effectively helped other engineers and leaders on your team grow through their careers
- You show ownership, craftsmanship and bias for action to find pragmatic engineering solutions to business problems
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of usersfrom Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Were committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. Thats why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on protected categories, we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.